Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- “Allies and Artificial Intelligence: Obstacles to Operations and Decision-making,” Texas National Security Review, Vol. 3, No. 2 (2020).
- “Backing Up, Not Backing Down: Mitigating Audience Costs Through Policy Substitution,” Journal of Peace Research, Vol. 56, No. 4 (2019). [PDF]
- “Non Citizen Soldiers: Foreign Recruitment by Modern State Militaries,” Security Studies, Vol. 28, No 2. (2019). With Kolby Hanson [PDF]
- “Non-Traditional Security Dilemmas: Can Military Operations Other Than War Intensify Security Competition?,” Asian Security, Vol. 14, No. 3 (Fall 2018). [PDF]
- “Air Power in Peace Operations: Reexamined,” International Peacekeeping, Vol. 18, No. 4. (August 2011). [PDF]
- “Dragon Boats: Assessing China’s Participation in Horn of Africa Anti-Piracy Operations,” Defense and Security Analysis, Vol. 26, No. 2. (June 2010). [PDF]
- “Offensive Airpower with Chinese Characteristics: Development, Capabilities, and Intentions,” Air and Space Power Journal, Vol. 21, No. 3. (Fall 2007). Reprinted in Chinese, Portuguese, and Spanish. [PDF]
Selected Working Papers and Projects
- Remote Controlled Escalation: Drones, Cyber Warfare, and Interstate Crises (Book Project)
- “Game of Drones: Emerging Technology and Conflict Escalation” (Under Review).
- “Soldiers, Pollsters, and International Crises: Public Opinion and the Military’s Advice on the Use of Force.” (Under Review)
- “Private Eyes in the Sky: Emerging Technology and the Political Consequences of Eroding Government Secrecy.” With Theo Milonopoulos (Under Review)
- “Revolutions in Reassurance: The Effects of Military Technology on Alliance Assurances.” With Brian Blankenship (May 2020).
Opinion and Commentary
- “Integrating Emerging Technology in Multinational Military Operations: The Case of Artificial Intelligence,” Texas National Security Review (Roundtable), Forthcoming.
- “Trump is Playing Iran’s Game of Drones,” Foreign Policy, 20 June 2019.
- “Game of Drones: What Experimental Wargames Reveal About Drones and Escalation,” War on the Rocks, 10 January 2019.
- “Rethinking Reassurance,” Political Violence @ A Glance, 13 November 2018. With Brian Blankenship.
- “Why Washington’s New Drone Export Policy is Good for National Security,” War on the Rocks, 24 April 2018.
- “How Trump Can Back Up from North Korea Comments,” Political Violence @ A Glance, 11 August 2017.
- “So China seized a U.S. drone submarine? Welcome to the future of international conflict,” Monkey Cage, The Washington Post (Online), 23 December 2016.
- “New Declaration Unlikely to Reduce UAV Proliferation,” Lawfare, 20 November 2016.
- “Now that Turkey Shot Down a Russian Bomber, What Does Escalation Look Like?,” War on the Rocks, 27 November 2015.
- “A South China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone,” Project for the Study of the 21st Century World, 1 June 2015.
- “Top Gun With Chinese Characteristics: Time to Clip the Wings of China’s Mavericks,” The National Interest (Online), 4 September 2014.
- “Too Close for Comfort,” South China Morning Post, 21 March 2014. (Also published online as “Fraught Search for MH370 May Harden Regional Rivalries”)