Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- “Evaluating Escalation: Conceptualizing Escalation in an Era of Emerging Military Technologies,” Journal of Politics Vol. 85, No. 3 (2023). [PDF]
- “Wargame of Drones: Remotely Piloted Aircraft and Conflict Escalation,” Journal of Conflict Resolution Vol. 66, No. 10 (2022). [PDF]
- “Algorithms and Influence: Artificial Intelligence and Crisis Decision-making,” International Studies Quarterly, Vol. 66, No. 4 (2022). With Michael C. Horowitz. [PDF]
- “Wargaming for International Relations Research,” European Journal of International Relations, Vol. 28, No. 1 (2022). With Reid Pauly and Jacquelyn Schneider [PDF]
- “Trivial Tripwires: Military Capabilities and Alliance Reassurance,” Security Studies, Vol. 31, No. 1 (2022). With Brian Blankenship. [PDF]
- “Soldiers, Pollsters, and International Crises: Public Opinion and the Military’s Advice on the Use of Force,” Foreign Policy Analysis, Vol. 17, No. 3 (2021). [PDF]
- “Private Eyes in the Sky: Emerging Technology and the Political Consequences of Eroding Government Secrecy,” Journal of Conflict Resolution, Vol. 65, No. 6 (2021). With Theo Milonopoulos. [PDF]
- “Allies and Artificial Intelligence: Obstacles to Operations and Decision-making,” Texas National Security Review, Vol. 3, No. 2 (2020). [PDF]
- “Backing Up, Not Backing Down: Mitigating Audience Costs Through Policy Substitution,” Journal of Peace Research, Vol. 56, No. 4 (2019). [PDF]
- “Non Citizen Soldiers: Foreign Recruitment by Modern State Militaries,” Security Studies, Vol. 28, No 2. (2019). With Kolby Hanson [PDF]
- “Non-Traditional Security Dilemmas: Can Military Operations Other Than War Intensify Security Competition?,” Asian Security, Vol. 14, No. 3 (Fall 2018). [PDF]
- “Air Power in Peace Operations: Reexamined,” International Peacekeeping, Vol. 18, No. 4. (August 2011). [PDF]
- “Dragon Boats: Assessing China’s Participation in Horn of Africa Anti-Piracy Operations,” Defense and Security Analysis, Vol. 26, No. 2. (June 2010). [PDF]
- “Offensive Airpower with Chinese Characteristics: Development, Capabilities, and Intentions,” Air and Space Power Journal, Vol. 21, No. 3. (Fall 2007). Reprinted in Chinese, Portuguese, and Spanish. [PDF]
Other Peer Reviewed Writing
- Wrestling with Killer Robots: The Benefits and Challenges of Military AI Use, MIT Case Studies in Social and Ethical Responsibilities of Computing, (August 2021).
Selected Working Papers
- “Cheap Tweets?: Crisis Signaling in the Age of Twitter.” With Benjamin Harris (Revise and Resubmit, International Studies Quarterly).
- “Is a Picture Worth 280 Characters?: Contextually Realistic Graphics vs. Plain Text in Survey Experiments.” With Benjamin Harris (Under Review).
- “Corporations in the Crosshairs: Does the Commercialization of Military Operations Affect International Crises?” (March 2023).
- The Remote Revolution: Drones and Modern Statecraft (Under Review)
Policy Writing and Commentary
- “The Dawn of Drone Diplomacy: Unmanned Aircraft are Upending the Arms Trade—and the Balance of Power,” Foreign Affairs (Online), 20 December 2022.
- “Tripwires and Alliance Reassurance: An Exchange – The Authors Reply,” Security Studies. With Brian Blankenship.
- “Boots on the Ground, Eyes in the Sky: How Commercial Satellites are Upending Conflict,” Foreign Affairs (Online), 30 May 2022. With Theo Milonopoulos.
- “Private Eyes in the Sky: How Commercial Satellites are Transforming Intelligence,” Foreign Affairs (Online), 23 September 2021. With Theo Milonopoulos.
- “Commercial satellites-not U.S intelligence-revealed China’s missile program,” Monkey Cage, The Washington Post (Online), 3 August 2021. With Theo Milonopoulos.
- “Integrating Emerging Technology in Multinational Military Operations: The Case of Artificial Intelligence,” Texas National Security Review (Roundtable), 2 June 2020.
- “Trump is Playing Iran’s Game of Drones,” Foreign Policy, 20 June 2019.
- “Game of Drones: What Experimental Wargames Reveal About Drones and Escalation,” War on the Rocks, 10 January 2019.
- “Rethinking Reassurance,” Political Violence @ A Glance, 13 November 2018. With Brian Blankenship.
- “Why Washington’s New Drone Export Policy is Good for National Security,” War on the Rocks, 24 April 2018.
- “How Trump Can Back Up from North Korea Comments,” Political Violence @ A Glance, 11 August 2017.
- “So China seized a U.S. drone submarine? Welcome to the future of international conflict,” Monkey Cage, The Washington Post (Online), 23 December 2016.
- “New Declaration Unlikely to Reduce UAV Proliferation,” Lawfare, 20 November 2016. [PDF]
- “Now that Turkey Shot Down a Russian Bomber, What Does Escalation Look Like?,” War on the Rocks, 27 November 2015.
- “A South China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone,” Project for the Study of the 21st Century World, 1 June 2015.
- “Top Gun With Chinese Characteristics: Time to Clip the Wings of China’s Mavericks,” The National Interest (Online), 4 September 2014.
- “Too Close for Comfort,” South China Morning Post, 21 March 2014. (Also published online as “Fraught Search for MH370 May Harden Regional Rivalries”)